Abby

Abby

Friday, April 15, 2011

NO MORE RADIATION!!!!


 It's finally over! I got my LAST radiation treatment today. I even got a Certificate of Completion, LOL. Coincidentally, the other side of the office, the medical oncology office was having an open house to celebrate the completion of the remodeling on their office. They had balloons, punch and cookies. So I got my last treatment, then picked up some punch and cookies on the way out the door. Mark and I are going to go out to celebrate on his next day off.

My radiation burns are slightly worse, now, but should be improved within a few days. There's a large burn beneath my arm and the area in the crease beneath my breast is raw. It's uncomfortable, but if you saw the photos from my last post you know that it could always be worse. I keep it covered with ointment and that helps.

I had the genetic test done last Wednesday and should get the results some time in the next couple of weeks. If it's positive then I'll have some decisions to make, but I'm not going to think about that until it comes. I got my herceptin yesterday (Thursday) so that means I don't have anything medical to do until May 3! I go then to get another MUGA (heart) scan. If my heart function has dropped again, we may suspend the herceptin treatments for a while or even stop them completely. Like the genetic test, I'm not going to worry about it until I have to. I'm just planning to enjoy the time off. The past seven weeks have been hectic and I'm very glad they're over.

On a completely different note, we're in the market for a new microwave since ours suddenly gave up the ghost a couple of days ago. Right out of the blue it just stopped working. No warning. The lights and vent and everything still function just fine, but the magnetron has apparently gone out because it no longer actually heats food. It's not like I actually do a lot of cooking with the microwave. I cook rice in it and Mark heats up canned pasta in it when he's in a hurry to eat. I'm perfectly capable of cooking everything on the stove, but now we HAVE to cook everything on the stove. We've turned it into a running joke that we're having to do everything the "old" way. I actually had to put a frozen package of hot dogs into a bowl of water yesterday so Mark could grill them out! Oh, the horror! LOL I think I miss the defrost capabilities of the thing most of all. So it looks like we'll be having a combo End of Radiation Celebration and microwave shopping session all at the same time.

I'm planning to rest for the next few days, though, and just enjoy not having to get up every morning to head to Madison to get my boob microwaved.
Smiley

No comments:

Post a Comment